Some of the more common symptoms of a virus infection include:
- computer running slow;
- programs behaving erratically, or suddenly shutting down;
- computer suddenly shutting down;
- pop-ups appearing;
- advertisements you can’t get rid of;
- files disappearing…
Unfortunately, virus protection doesn’t simply involve buying or subscribing to virus protection software, installing it, and then forgetting it! Minimizing your vulnerability, and maximizing your recovery if attacked, are achieved by a combination of methods which include:
- careful selection of an anti-virus program (it’s not necessary to buy one!);
- optimizing your particular operating system’s features to prevent infection and keeping the security releases on your system up-to-date;
- avoiding downloading programs from web sites you don’t trust;
- not executing any programs attached to an email unless you are absolutely certain it is legitimate;
- proper configuration of both hardware and software firewalls;
- checking all removable media you connect to your system, whether it be a USB stick or DVD, etc.;
- ensure you regularly backup your important files and data.
If your system has been attacked, Strong Signal IT can help you. The methods used will depend on the severity of the infection, and may range from a simple clean up of the computer, to a full re-install of the operating system. Either way, we can assist you to bring your system back into operation, and advise you in ways to prevent further attacks.