IMPORTANT NOTE: IF YOU SUSPECT ANY FORM OF DATA LOSS ON YOUR COMPUTER OR DEVICE, SHUT DOWN IMMEDIATELY AND SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP. DOING THIS WILL GREATLY IMPROVE THE CHANCES OF RECOVERY.
There are many ways data can be lost on a computer, or from the many devices now being used such as USB drives, digital camera memory cards, external hard drives, etc. One thing’s for sure, though, data loss can be a painful experience.
- Imagine losing all those precious photos from your hard drive that you’ve painstakingly collected and sorted over the years;
- Think about an irreplaceable music collection or family videos that mean so much to you and your children;
- What about business? Data loss in a business situation can result in a major disruption to work, costing large sums of money. Worse still, some businesses have had to close due to lack of proper attention to data recovery.
There are a number of possible scenarios connected to data loss and recovery.
- Data can be accidentally misplaced within a system. This situation is usually quite simple to resolve;
- Data can be accidentally deleted. If not too much disc activity has occurred from the moment the data was deleted until the recovery attempt, it may be possible to retrieve that data (see note at top of page);
- Retrieving data from a failed operating system can usually be achieved by copying the required files off the old disc onto a new one;
- Salvaging data from failed devices, whether it be physical damage or filesystem corruption, may require specialized third party software.
- A ‘last hope’ option for critical data recovery involves expensive, lab condition repairs.
If you realize you have lost data that you want recovered, or you suspect that something is wrong with one of your devices and are afraid of losing data, give Strong Signal IT a call so we can assist you in the best way possible.